Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pole Position


At first glance, this photograph taken on my iPhone near the intersection of Lawrence Avenue and Pulaski is, well....nondescript. Take a closer look and you'll realize that the red-lettered object in the foreground is a utility truck of a company specializing in, among other things, poles. In the background you'll notice a semi-obstructed marquee advertising The Admiral Theatre. Since 1984 it's been every Northwest Chicago 'gentleman's' idea of the Moulin Rouge, if you know what I'm saying. Anyway, No, I was not looking for a parking space. I was just stalled in rush hour traffic trying to serpentine back home to Forest Glen while simultaneously text arguing First Amendment Freedom of Speech and Press rights with a Chicago City worker over something I posted on Facebook. I finally surrendered on all accounts, pulled over, deleted the Facebook post, and snapped this funny shot instead. And my point? Hard to believe anyone (sans clothes to boot) can wear out a dance pole---even over a 25 year period. Or for that matter, sway a proud man's allegiance when he has a dog in the fight.


Geno Petro

No comments:

Post a Comment