Living the urban dream (okay, Midwest urban dream...Geez...) is not without its financial challenges. Not a problem if you make good cake but for the average working Joe ham n' egger, even a $50K a year no-show city job is barely enough to cover the monthly nut and still leave a few bucks left over for the 9th at Hawthorne on Saturday. Note the following list I put together based on my professional Chicago real estate observation (and amateur neighborhood wanderings):
* $ 2,500 Average monthly rent payment for a 2 bed/2 bath Wrigleyville condo.
* $200 Average monthly rent payment for a Wrigleyville garage spot.
* $69.50 Cost to fill up a BMW X3 if you're coasting on fumes (Premium).
* $38.20 If your whip is a Prius (Regular).
* $10.75 Cost per pack of Marlboro Reds (for the three of you out there that still smoke).
* $3.99 Cost of a 'Slice & Pop' at most North Side pizza joints
* $7.50 per $1,000 (of sale price) Chicago City Tax Stamp on every real estate purchase.
* 9.25% Chicago City Sales Tax
* 2.25% Additional Tax for Food/Drugs.
* 0.25% More for restaurants (plus another 1% downtown establishments).
* 9% Amusement Tax (why am I not laughing?)
* $0.05 per Bottle Water Tax
Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how are you enjoying the weather?