Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fulton Market Nighthawk


I've always enjoyed the dark and sullied gangways of Chicago's West Loop neighborhood...from a comfortable distance, to be sure. The angle of the downtown skyline from this iron bound perspective is both fresh and gritty at the same time. The Meat Packing District, with its alleys of bumper to bumper empty and open delivery trucks parked in formation under sodium-sulphate street lights, is at its silent brooding best between the dusk and dawn hours.

I came upon the corner pictured above just after sundown last Saturday night. The Fulton Market landscape struck me immediately as an Edward Hopper scene study, particularly the way the back light was pooling on the sidewalk as I rolled up to the dead end stop sign on west May Street. I put the vehicle in PARK, jumped out, and quickly snapped the above image with my iPhone before I lost the frame in my mind forever.

I spent the next twenty minutes looking for parking and a decent place to eat.


Geno Petro



photo by geno petro

No comments:

Post a Comment